- Set-up of a relevant procedure to derive the climatology of wind conditions over the South-East European area by means of meso-scale simulations;
- Validation of the quality of short-term simulated wind conditions through comparison with existing measurements;
- Simulation of long-term time series of wind conditions for the locations of interest to be used as input for further correlation procedures in the WP5.
Description of work
The wind conditions of 10 years are dynamically simulated with the use of the atmospheric limited area model (LAM) MM5 for three locations in the area. To achieve this result the following steps are undertaken:
- survey of the existing reanalysis products (ERA40, ERA15, NCEP/NCAR reanalysis project) to be used as a source for initial and boundary conditions of the meso-scale simulations.
- investigation of the optimal model set-up with regard to: domain size, nesting configuration, grid resolution and physical parameterization;
- simulation of the atmospheric dynamics for a period of one month and correlation of simulation outcomes with existing measurements;
- evaluation of the quality of the correlation scores, and possibly adjustments to the simulation configuration;
- set up of the adjusted modelling system on a high performance computing (HPC) platform;
- high resolution, long-term simulation of wind conditions over the locations of interest.
DEWI is the leader of the work package ‚Meso-scale Simulations‘.