Main general objective
To gain experience in wind measurement, site development and operation of large scale wind turbines at sites in complex terrain and especially under the specific geographic and climatic conditions in the West Balkan area with the aim of increasing efficiency and reliability of wind turbine technology.
Specific scientific and technical objectives
The following nine scientific and technical objectives are defined to guarantee that the stated general objective will be achieved.
1. To gain experience with innovative measurement and simulation techniques in complex terrain and under specific local wind systems in SEE.
- Documentation of each SODAR and LIDAR measurement campaign
- Results of each SODAR and LIDAR measurement campaign
- Comparison of SODAR and LIDAR profiles
- Rating of the suitability of LIDAR for measuring vertical profile of wind speed in complex terrain
- Summary of the WP’s main conclusions and their relevance to wind energy utilisation
2. To improve the accuracy of energy yield prediction in complex terrain.
- Description of mean wind, turbulence, wind shear, flow inclination and extreme wind conditions at project sites
- Energy yield assessment
- Flow model comparison and verification results
3. To gain knowledge about energy yield prediction at sites with specific local wind systems in SEE especially concerning extreme wind conditions and with regard to long-term behaviour of wind potential.
- Yearly reports (3 years) of long term measurements for each pilot site.
- Reports on short term measurement campaign for each pilot site.
4. To test a MW-scale wind turbine under extreme wind conditions at three different sites in West Balkans (Rudine II, Podvelez, Vlasina).
- Optimized wind farm outline for each pilot site
- Reports on environmental impact statement for pilot sites
- Reports on results of approval procedures
- Investment cost for each pilot site based on tendering
- Evidence of economic efficiency and financing plan for each pilot site
- Documentation of construction works for each pilot site
- Three pilot wind turbines at three project locations
5. To generate knowledge about design parameters and power performance of operating wind turbines at sites in complex terrain and under the influence of extreme local wind conditions in SEE.
- Providing a high quality, high resolution data base for research purposes including report
- Report on site calibration results with emphasis on the 3D information from the sonic and comparison with the calculated results
- Report on power curve measurements with emphasis on nacelle anemometer based methods
6. To increase efficiency and reliability of operating MW scale wind turbines at sites in complex terrain.
- Report on operational experience for each pilot site
- Recalculation of economic efficiency for each pilot site
- Costs for generating electricity from wind in SEE
7. To standardize and harmonize building codes and related standards for wind turbine construction in West Balkans.
- Certification report on the assessment of site specific load assumptions for the wind turbines
- Site Specific Certificate for the wind turbines
- Compilation of the national building codes in a technical report
8. To gain more detailed knowledge about possible wind potential in SEE
- Report with description of local wind systems and case study results
- Long term 10-minute time series of wind data from Mostar met station
- Website with 24 h wind forecast for pilot project areas
- Report on the development and configuration of the meso-scale modelling system.
- Validation of meso-scale simulation and assessment of the short term correlation
- Meso-scale simulation of long term wind conditions over South East Europe
9. To provide an impulse to wind energy exploitation in SEE
- Website, webcam and folders for each pilot site
- Information board and guided visitor tours at the pilot sites
- Brochures about costs of wind energy generation and wind potential in SEE
- Summary of final report ready to be published
- Two conferences on wind energy in complex terrain
- Wind workshop for companies
- Socio-economic studies at the project sites